Who would have thought jam would be so good on a grilled cheese?
I wasn't joking when I said I had a grilled cheese obsession. I have opened a door that seems limitless! With creations like Pear and Honey Grilled Cheese and Turkey Veggie Grilled Cheese with Sprouts I have opened a door that seems limitless! This is what Willy Wonka must have felt like when he bit into his first piece of candy. The basic grilled cheese template is my blank canvas and all of the ingredient options are my paints, waiting to adorn my canvas in their own unique, flavorful way. Nothing is off limits. Fruit, veggies, sugar, bacon, seafood, salami, pesto, peanut butter, salsa. The world is my grilled oyster!
This particular concoction took me approximately 18 seconds to consume, from first bite to last. Who would have thought jam would be so good on a grilled cheese?
Cheddar and Cherry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cherry preserves makes this grilled cheese fabulous!
Total time:10 min
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cherry preserves
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- Handful of alfalfa sprouts
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- Place the bread slices on a flat work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter evenly over one side of each slice of bread.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Layer the sandwich as follows: Slice of bread, butter side down, 1 tablespoon cherry preserves (spread evenly on top side), 1 slice cheese, alfalfa sprouts, basil, 1 slice cheese and slice of bread, with preserves spread on bottom and butter side up.
- Place sandwich onto the hot skillet. Cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom layer of cheese begins to melt around the edges. Cut in half and serve!