My sweet oldest boy was sent home early from school two days last week due to an icky tummy. We cannot figure out why his stomach (seemingly) randomly becomes so upset. We have removed so many of the "bad" things from his diet, so what else could it be? Is it reacting to the adjustment? Or is it something we're not thinking of? At any rate, I'm on a mission to feed him nothing but goodness as we figure out the culprit.
I threw this baked oatmeal into the oven last night for the boys' dinner and they were so excited about the idea of having breakfast for dinner. BREAKFAST FOR DINNER?! Mama, that's sooo silly! But guess what. Elijah, my very very picky eater, ate two HUGE bowls of it. He loved it, and that is one big, gigantic endorsement. No joke.
Preaheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a medium circle or 9x9-ish baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine:
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 tablespoon flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
Mix well and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 peach, peeled, pitted and mashed (substitution: 1 banana, peeled and mashed)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix well. Add to the oats mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with 3/4 cup of fresh blackberries. Pour the entire oatmeal mixture evenly over the top.
Evenly pour 1/2 cup of additional milk over the top of that.
Top with another 3/4 cup of fresh blackberries.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the oatmeal is cooked through. Serve warm!
Have a great week and thank you so much for reading! Assuming I will find the time, I have a very fun giveaway coming up later in the week. Exciting! I love giveaways!
A deliciously different way to prepare oatmeal!
Contributed by Megan Porta from pipandebby.com.
Published Sep 23, 2013
Total time: 50 min
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 peach, peeled, pitted and mashed (substitution: 1 banana, peeled and mashed)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a medium (9x9-ish) baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, flaxseed, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1 ½ cups of milk, mashed peaches (or banana), egg, honey and vanilla. Mix well. Add liquid mixture to the dry mixture and mix well.
- Place half of the blackberries into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with the oatmeal mixture. Pour an additional ½ cup of milk over the top. Top with the remaining half of the blackberries. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.