For the second time in the past six months, I am in Indiana. Prior to July, I had never been here in my life! We are staying in a rented house for a few days with my side of the family, celebrating Christmas. This morning we celebrated with a pancake breakfast and presents. This afternoon we slid around on the lake in our snow boots, built a teeny-tiny snowman and took naps. This evening brought enchiladas for dinner and Despicable Me 2, while Elijah does play-by-play commentary so that nothing is a surprise to anyone. We are cherishing our time. I love my family!
2014 is only a few days away, isn't that crazy?! You just have to add this salad to your list of recipes to make in the new year in order to fulfill your resolutions. It is one of my faves!
In a large bowl, combine:
4 cups each of romaine lettuce and iceberg lettuce, rinsed and broken into small pieces
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
1 cup green olives, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
Toss, cover and refrigerate.
In a small bowl, whisk together:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, pour the dressing into the salad bowl and toss until coated.
Have a great week, everyone, and HAPPY 2014!
Green Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Nothing but good stuff in this green-themed salad!
Contributed by Megan Porta from pipandebby.com.
Published Dec 30, 2013
Total time:25 min
- 4 cups each romaine lettuce and iceberg lettuce, rinsed and broken into small pieces
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup green olives, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, celery, apples, green olives, cucumbers, avocados and green onions. Toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate both bowls until ready to serve. Just before serving, pour the dressing into the salad bowl and toss until coated.