The weekend was as awesome and filled with tummy-butterflies as I anticipated. I felt so fulfilled (and quite tired) when we were all safe at home on Sunday evening. I let my boys go away for an entire weekend with their auntie, my generous and wonderful sister. This was huge for me. I spend so much time with my monkeys these days that letting them go so far away and for two whole nights was, well, a big deal. Ultimately I knew I had to let go, and let them have fun with their auntie and cousins, away from me, for a few days. It was the right decision. They had a blast. They are still completely exhausted from the fun that was had.
And the other huge part of the weekend was that I made my first skydive in four years. I honestly cannot believe it had been that long. Before Elijah was born I was skydiving every weekend in the summer-time. Since the summer I found out I was pregnant with Sammy, I hadn't made a single jump.
I knew the boys were going to be with my sister for the weekend, so I made the decision to jump! Skydiving has always been one of the only things to make me forget my worries and to make me feel free, at-peace, liberated, empowered and wonderful (and on and on). I found out on Saturday that nothing had changed. It felt incredible to be back in the sky again. And to make it even better, I was able to make my first jump back with my wonderful husband!
And that's not all that was great about the weekend. After three attempts, I was finally able to create a Salted Caramel Brownie recipe that I was happy with. Very happy with! Salted caramel is such a trendy combination of tastes right now, and there is good reason for that. These brownies are truly delicious, you guys. And super easy to make. Trust me, you have to try them.
First, make the brownies!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving at least a 1-inch overhang on all sides.
In a large bowl, combine:
15.5-oz. box brownie mix (with chocolate chunks...mmm!)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
With a spoon, mix until combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the brownies cool completely.
In the meantime, prepare the salted caramel! Are my exclamation points annoying?! I can't help it, I'm high from being reunited with the sky!!!!!!
In a medium saucepan, combine:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Set your heat to high and cook, stirring, until the mixture reaches 250 degrees. It took me exactly 10 minutes to reach this point.
Remove from the heat and stir in:
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup sour cream
Stir until creamy. Pour the caramel sauce over the cooled brownies.
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt over the top.
Refrigerate until the caramel is firm, 2 to 3 hours. Cut into squares and serve!
After refrigerating, the caramel was firm enough to set out at room temperature. Personally, I preferred them just out of the refrigerator. Either way was truly delicious. I shared these with a handful of people and every one of them let out a satisfied groan.
Enjoy! Here is to a week filled with tummy butterflies and wonderful things for everyone!
Salted Caramel Brownies
These delicious little bites are sweet, salty, chocolatey and gooey beyond your wildest dreams.
Contributed by Megan Porta from pipandebby.com.
Published Jul 17, 2012
Total time:1 hr, plus 3 hrs chilling
- 15.5-oz. box brownie mix with chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- SALTED CARAMEL
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- MAKE THE BROWNIES. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, letting at least 1 inch overhang on all sides. In a large bowl, combine the brownie mix, butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Mix with a spoon until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- MAKE THE CARAMEL. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, heavy cream and corn syrup. Set heat to high and cook, stirring, until mixture reaches 250 degrees (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon sea salt, along with sour cream.
- Pour caramel sauce over the cooled brownies. Sprinkle with additional ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Refrigerate until caramel is firm, a minimum of 3 hours. Cut into squares and serve.