My gorgeous and wonderful husband passed his skydiving course this week, so the little boys and I are very proud of him and his efforts! It was a long and grueling week for him. This weekend I plan to take the boys out to our camper at the dropzone for the first time this "summer," so we are all looking forward to that. And hopefully some of our skydiver friends will be able to enjoy this dessert that I made tonight because it is yummy! I stole the idea from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine. It is such a deliciously pretty dessert!
Remove 1 frozen (thawed) pound cake (10 3/4 ounces) from its pan and cut it horizontally into 4 slices. Line the aluminum loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 6-inch overhang on 2 sides.
Build the cake layers as follows:
Bottom cake slice
1 cup lime sherbet, softened
1/2 cup Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
1 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
1 cup raspberry sherbet, softened
Top cake slice
Wrap in plastic and freeze for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
In a heatproof bowl, lightly whisk together 2 eggs whites and a pinch of cream of tartar.
Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the whites are foamy. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup sugar and cook, whisking, until the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the bowl from the heat and, with an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes.
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat for another minute. Remove the cake from the pan and dollup the meringue over the top.
Serve immediately! Enjoy! And come skydiving with us this summer!
7-Layer Ice Cream Cake
This is not as hard as it looks and is such a yummy summer treat. (source: Everyday Food Magazine)
Contributed by Megan Porta from pipandebby.com.
Published Apr 7, 2012
Total time:1 hr, 30 min
- 1 frozen pound cake (10 3/4 ounces) in aluminum loaf pan, thawed
- 1 cup lime sherbet, softened
- 1/2 cup Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 cup raspberry sherbet, softened
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remove cake from pan and cut horizontally into 4 slices. Line pan with plastic wrap, leaving 6-inch overhang on two sides. Build cake layers in pan in this order: bottom cake slice, lime sherbet, cake slice, Oreo crumbs, vanilla ice cream, cake slice, raspberry sherbet, top cake slice. Wrap in plastic and freeze for a minimum of 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
- In a heatproof bowl, lightly whisk together egg whites and pinch of cream of tartar. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until whites are foamy. Slowly whisk in sugar and cook, whisking, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove bowl from heat and, with an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes. Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Remove cake from pan and dollup meringue over top.